How Obama Got Elected
Knight Owl tipped me to this one.
Quoting from the website How Obama Got Elected:
On November 4th, 2008 millions of Americans were shocked that a man of Barack Obama’s limited experience, extreme liberal positions and radical political alliances could be elected President of the United States. For many of these Americans, the explanation was rather simple… the news media, completely enamored with Obama, simply refused to do their job.
On Election day twelve Obama voters were interviewed extensively right after they voted to learn how the news media impacted their knowledge of what occurred during the campaign. These voters were chosen for their apparent intelligence/verbal abilities and willingness to express their opinions to a large audience. The rather shocking video below seeks to provide some insight into which information broke through the news media clutter and which did not.
The questions asked were simple. When John Ziegler appeared on Hannity and Colmes, Colmes said that he’d bet Ziegler could get the same kind of screwed up answers by quizzing random McCain voters. Ziegler disputed that, and in fact offered to pay Colme’s production costs if he could produce a legitimately created video demonstrating as much.
I can’t quiz random McCain voters, so I did the next best thing. I quizzed my 14-year old daughter Missy, without letting her watch the film clip or refer to Google, etc. I’ve put her answers in blue italics. The correct answers are in bold red. There are 15 questions showing, even though there were officially only 12. I numbered each of the “who is” questions separately.
- Which party currently controls congress? Democrats unfortunately/Democrats
- Which candidate previously had to drop out of a campaign due to plagiarism? Wasn’t that Joe Biden?/Joe Biden
- Who won his first election by getting all three of his opponents kicked off the ballot? I know this one! Barack Obama!/Obama
- Who said his policies would bankrupt the coal industry and make energy costs skyrocket? Obama. At some meeting in California I think./Obama.
- Who is Barney Frank? He’s that guy from up in Massachusetts. He’s a congressman. He’s gay. And he’s the one who caused a lot of the housing problems./Democratic Congressman from Massachusetts, who is indeed gay and did, in fact, have a lot to do with the current housing “problems.”
- Who is Nancy Pelosi? She’s a democratic congressman from California. She’s the speaker of the house./Democrat Nancy Pelosi is the speaker of the house, and is a congresswoman from California.
- Who is Harry Reid? I know he’s a senator, and I think he’s from California or maybe Arizona./The democratic senator is in fact from Nevada, and is the senate majority leader.
- Who is Bill Ayers? He’s that weather underground terrorist dude that started Obama in politics that Obama tries to say he barely knew./Couldn’t have put it better myself!
- Which candidate spent $150,000 on clothes? Sarah Palin/Sarah Palin
- Which candidate has a pregnant teenage daughter? Sarah Palin/Sarah Palin
- Which candidate said they could see Russia from their house? Sarah Palin/Sarah Palin said you could see Russia from Alaska. Tina Fey said you could see it from “her” house (while acting as Sarah Palin).
- Which candidate said they had campaigned in 57 states? Obama!/Obama, indeed
- Who said that Obama would be tested by an international crisis in his first six months in office? Joe Biden/Joe Biden
- Which said that government should redistribute the wealth? Who else? Obama/Who else, indeed?
- Is redistributing the wealth a good thing? Missy’s answer was too long. I’ll summarize it: No./Though socialists would disagree with me, the correct answer is hell no.
Here’s the video itself:
Ziegler also commissioned a Zogby telephone poll which asked the same questions (as well as a few others) of more than 500 Obama voters. The results were quite similar: